Thursday, August 7, 2008

Splenda Ruins Everything

When asked to choose one thing that ruins everything, the answer was very simple: Splenda. Splenda became mysteriously popular sometime during my sophomore year at college. All of a sudden, all my sodas and yogurts were marked with "Now with Splenda!" All of a sudden, everybody went apeshit for this sugar substitute, claimed that it was better for you than regular sugar, and ran out to the supermarket to buy everything that contained this product. I'm not entirely sure how the media somehow convinced an ENTIRE country that Splenda was "better" for you than original, pure sugar and that ingesting it in droves will make you thinner. Um. How could a "sugar substitute," which is obviously made out of chemicals, be better than the natural source? Um. Regular sugar isn't bad for you unless you are eating sticks of it every 2 seconds. I can understand if you have diabeetus and can't have delicious sugar, but I'm not so sure that Splenda is the best option here (not that I can suggest another one since I'm not a scientist).

Also, I don't know if any of you have tasted this shit, but it tastes approximately like rotting candy. It makes food take sickly sweet to the point where you feel "hungover" from, let's say, a cup of yogurt. All I know is, people have been eating sugar for a very long time and all I'm saying is that a fabricated version of this can only be absolutely 100% repulsive and unnatural.

No comments: