Tuesday, May 20, 2008

He's Just Not that Into You



Apparently, I'm delusional. I've recently found myself in a "he's not that into you situation" and I refuse to accept it. And the reason why I refuse to accept it is because I've made certain that this shit wouldn't happen to me since 8th grade. In 8th grade, I got myself a gym membership and I've been working out like a banshee ever since. Every day, I find new ways of increasing my awesome levels by 100%. I've taken on jobs merely for the bragging rights--I've worked for celebrities, acted in plays, interned at PBS, led museum tours. I've made sure to take on unique extra-curricular activities such as Tap Dancing and paint-by-numbers. I'm amazing at Karaoke. I'm good at crossword puzzles and editing peoples' resumes. I'm good at flipcup. I've nailed EVERY interview I've ever been on. I have the best taste in music, art, TV, and movies. I've gotten into grad schools. I've basically taken every precaution, short of plastic surgery (which isn't out of the question at this point), to make sure this shit looks good on a daily basis and to make sure that I have interesting things to say on dates. I've also stockpiled lists upon lists of jokes and h.larious topics of discussion and I've consistently brought my A-game. I'm known for being good at coming up with awesome gifts ideas for people I'm dating, including tickets to the Colbert Report, Chia Pets, pet goldfish, etc. Basically, if I were a guy, I would want to date me. Thus I was horrified to discover that a guy I was quasi-dating "was just not that into me." I'm not sure what went wrong considering that I was consistently awesome. Can somebody please explain. thanks.


All that aside, perhaps I have much to learn about this whole "he's just not that into you" idea. Apparently, I misread all the signs (never happened before). Maybe I go after the wrong type of guys and perhaps I convinced myself that everything was going well. Just like religion and myth were developed to explain strange phenomena, perhaps the "he's just not that into you" principle provides an explanation for the the inexplicable in relationships. Cuz, frankly, I can't understand this. It gives women a succinct and seemingly valid explanation to tell their friends over brunch when asked what happened with "so and so." Instead of overanalyzing every second of the relationship, the phrase concisely summarizes what exactly happened. Elaboration isn't always necessary. It's understoood: He's just not that into you.

No comments: