Friday, November 21, 2008

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I freaking love the holidays. I can't help it. I'm not a particularly huge fan of winter, but Thanksgiving and Christmas pretty much make up for the bitter, bitter cold that comes with them.

Thanksgiving is the first in the holiday season, and I feel like it is a great way to ease yourself into this time of pure goodwill and happiness. Thanksgiving is mostly badass because of the food, as everyone knows. The turkey is classic, of course, but why not spice it up with a Turducken or a Tofurky this year? (I have personally been on a campaign to get my family to try a traditional holiday Tofurky since high school, to no avail.) My favorite side by far has got to be the sweet potatoes, and for dessert you can't go wrong with a pumpkin pie. Mmm.

But other good things come along with all that delicious food. This is a time when people come together--even if you're not around your family, there is always a group of friends or another family more than willing to take you in. The food coma that sets in post-turkey produces a group of people who have nothing better to do than hang out, watch movies, talk, or toss a football around. I ask you, in what other time of year does this phenomenon occur?

Thanksgiving used to mark the start of the Christmas/holiday rush, but no longer. Now, people can't wait until the end of November to put on The Best of Bing Crosby: Christmas Collection or my personal favorite, Merry Christmas. (Classic!) Not that I'm complaining--I could sing along to "All I Want For Christmas Is You" 12 months out of the year. It just sets a certain mood: peace, goodwill, cheer...ah, I love it.

The excitement over Christmas is something that hasn't really gone away for me. Granted, I don't wake up at 5am anymore, but the anticipation over seeing what goodies you might have gotten and the looks on your friends' and family members' faces when they open a particularly apt present is just great. So this year, I am trying something new for my Christmas countdown: the advent calendar. I found one that a) has penguins b) makes no mention of Jesus whatsoever c) is a pop-up! and I just had to have it. How fun is that??

Christmas is also worth the countdown because of the family time (pretty much the only time I see my brother) and I also usually end up hanging out with some pretty sweet high school friends that have dispersed to other places and are doing all kinds of different things. Seriously, it's great. I don't even really know why this is a debatable issue, really. Over to you, Scrooge McSleaze...

3 comments:

ittyfan said...

i think you should buy a tofurkey and make it anyway and see what your parents say! they will be delightfully surprised! here is what you do - go to Whole Foods or Mom's.... don't buy the tofurkey brand though. Buy the Quorn Roast. It's only $6!!! It tastes so good too. Then, baste it in a blend of olive oil and spices and cook. You will love it!! (It's what I'm having!)

¡Yo Soy Liz! said...

borntoride is so ride about the Quorn Roast. It's what JD and I have had for the past 4 thanksgivings and it is deeeeeelish. Unfortunately it isn't vegan, so we are going with a Celebration Field Roast this year.

I am obsessed with advent calendars and I LOVVVVVE that penguin one--I may need to invest some of this week's unemployment in one of those babies.

Three cheers to high school friends!!!

Elsie said...

You've inspired be to try the Tofurkey next year!